Adam,
I had been using those very NSTreeController extensions in addition to my
proxy classes. They use undocumented APIs (as far as I can tell), and broke
when I updated my project to 10.5 only, because (I think) NSTreeController
adopted a public API (NSTreeNode) in place of what the extensions were based
on.

In principal, I'd be happy to share code that I think would be helpful, but
my proxy classes are loaded with baggage I need to remove and I've had to
table my private project in favor of the one that pays the bills. ;-)

Doug K;