On Apr 1, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Marc Respass wrote:

Hi All,

I haven't registered for a creator code since System 7.5. Apple has information and registration page (http://developer.apple.com/datatype/index.html ) about it but no indication if it's actually still required. Can anyone tell me if it is still required or maybe point me at the right information?

Here's a FAQ, but it's kinda vague on the "why":

<http://developer.apple.com/faq/datatype.html>

While not required, you can still use creator codes for your documents. I do this myself as well as to provide an extension. It's useful to disambiguate cases where your app works with files that have a common extension. Those files created by your app can have the proper creator code set on them. Otherwise, users may need to manually specify what app to open the document.

I also know that you're still required to register a creator code for at least one other thing (cannot think of it now). Bonjour service? I know I recently saw this on some page of the developer site; it reminded you to register a creator code for some reason.

I think it may also useful when dealing with Apple Events. Though that may only be needed when working with events at a lower level? The high-level Cocoa APIs may not need such info.