On 04/04/2008, at 11:54 AM, Dmitry Markman wrote:
if I comment all those releases (excerpt [pool release])
then application won't crash

That's because all the methods you use to create the objects return autoreleased objects which don't need to be released manually.

that probably means that some of the objects
(stringAttributes, font, cocoaColor, context, textString or nsFontName)
were already in the pool and I shouldn't release them
also if I call retain for every above object and call release the everything will be fine with [pool release]
but why should I retain them if I have no intention to share them?

Listen to what Chris says:

You're releasing things you shouldn't be. Take some time to read the memory management documentation.

Read Apple's memory management documentation as well as the many, many articles about Objective-C memory management on the web. Read "Programming in Objective-C" by Stephen Kochan.

You are doing it wrong, that's why it's crashing.

--
Rob Keniger