Sorry, you still are not really getting it.
There is nothing wrong with the documentation
You are not dealing with any exceptions to the rules

Cocoa memory management is quite unique and it can take a while to understand and get used to. Just try to let everything sink in, read some open source Cocoa code, and eventually it should make sense.

3. but I agree with Adam comment that the rule isn't 100% reliable and therefore isn't good enough
And just to correct the record, that is not what I said at all :). There is no rule that says all objects not created with "alloc" "new" or "copy" are autoreleased. Once you understand how everything works and learn to follow the rules, you will understand why that does not make any difference whatsoever.

If you want me to clarify anything I have said, feel free to ask off list.

Adam Leonard