On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Kevin Dixon wrote:
Here's the contents of my thread's routine

{
NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

mEngine->Destretch(mAudioFileList, [uiOutputDirectory stringValue],

There's a good chance that [uiOutputDirectory stringValue] is actually putting something into the autorelease pool. So, no matter how little work mEngine->Destretch might be doing, the autorelease pool may not be empty.

smpteIndex);

[pool release];
[NSThread exit];

(NB: It is not strictly necessary to explicitly exit your threads. Falling out of the thread routine causes that to happen implicitly.)

}

In ->Destretch the only real allocation of Cocoa stuff is this
NSURL * url = [NSURL fileURLWithPath: filePath];
CFURLGetFSRef((CFURLRef)url, &output);

Does this need to be CFReleased some how?

No. The NSURL object is autoreleased. FSRefs are just opaque structs. I suspect "output" is on the stack, so you don't have to do anything special to deallocate it.

Its not very exciting, though since its objective-c++, maybe that's a
factor. The stack trace looks like this:

0 objc_msgSend
1 ??
2 -[SFWindowController destretchWorkerThreadEntryPoint:]
3 forkTheadForFunction
4 _pthread_body

when I click on 2, it highlights the [pool release] line.

That _may_ indicate that the crash is actually happening on the line above. Sometimes the debugger indicates the next instruction that would execute after the inner frame returns.

However, what's more likely is that you have an invalid object in the autorelease pool. Try enabling NSZombie <http://developer.apple.com/ technotes/tn2004/tn2124.html#SECFOUNDATION>. That will get you helpful log messages.

Good luck,
Ken