On Apr 4, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:
Rick, first of all let me admit that it really brightened up my day here to visualize the confidence with which you and this Apple engineer go "click" and expect the tools to "just work". Thank you for that.

Seriously, though, although Xcode is pretty good, there are quite a few things that have to go on under the hood before an entry in that target properties inspector results in your app being able to open the corresponding file extension type. Most notably, and this is a bug that I myself have filed previously, Xcode needs to preprocess and then rewrite your app's Info.plist file. And although this operation probably takes about 5 milliseconds on a slow Mac, for some reason Apple chose to not make it a part of the Build process. It seems to only happen after you "clean" your target, and this might be your problem.

Look inside your product package's Contents/Info.plist at the CFBundleDocumentTypes key and see if you find your .gpx type listed. If not, quit your app, "Clean" your project by clicking in menu ► Build ► Clean and wait a few seconds for it to "succeed". Then Build again (this will take some time) and it might work.

All that being said, if .gpx is still not in Info.plist, this is more of an Xcode than a Cocoa issue and you address any further comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for responding, Jerry. I'm really quite stuck and getting nowhere.

Actually, I don't think it's Xcode's problem. It seems to build the Info.plist just fine. Also, using lsregister, I can see that something is registered for the .gpx extension (see below). It's clearly a Mac OS X issue, not an Xcode-specific issue, and I'm at a loss as to what's wrong.

bundle  id:            156464
path: /Users/rmann/LZRepo/trackedit/trunk/xcode/build/Debug/ TrackEdit.app
        name:          TrackEdit
        identifier:    com.latencyzero.TrackEdit (0x8001e2e8)
        canonical id:  com.latencyzero.trackedit (0x8002d809)
        version:       1
        mod date:      4/2/2008 11:50:41
        reg date:      4/2/2008 11:50:41
        type code:     'APPL'
        creator code:  '????'
        sys version:   10.5
        flags:
item flags: container package application extension-hidden native-app i386
        icon:
        executable:    Contents/MacOS/TrackEdit
        inode:         3191623
        exec inode:    3191640
        container id:  32
        library:
        library items:
        type    id:            31060
                uti:           com.latencyzero.trackedit.gpx
                flags:         exported  inactive
                icon:
                conforms to:   public.data
                tags:          .gpx, text/xml
        claim   id:            128492
                name:
                rank:          Default
                roles:         Editor
                flags:
                icon:
                bindings:      com.latencyzero.trackedit.gpx

Rick