From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rama Krishna
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:22 PM
To: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Subject: A simple Objective-C question

I am new to Objective-C but I have done C++/C#/Java work. I have been
doing
some experiments to understand how the language works. I found that it
is
not necessary for an Objective-C class to derive from Object. I was able
create a class which did not derive from Object contrary to my
assumption
that all Objective-C classes implicitly derive from Object (such as in
C# or
Java).

However, such a class has a problem. It cannot be allocated or
initialized.
Because it can never get the alloc message as the alloc message is
declared
in the Object class. My question ,therefore, is how can such classes be
instantiated. Is there a library function for that? Surely, the standard
alloc function must be using such a function. Or should I just derive
all
classes from Object.

h.com