On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Rama Krishna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, such a class has a problem. It cannot be allocated or
> initialized.
> Because it can never get the alloc message as the alloc message is
> declared
> in the Object class. My question ,therefore, is how can such classes be
> instantiated. Is there a library function for that? Surely, the standard
> alloc function must be using such a function. Or should I just derive all
> classes from Object.

I could be wrong, but I think you can build a +alloc message using
NSAllocateObject. However, to make your class behave well with the rest of
Cocoa, you'll also need to implement a large part of the NSObject protocol.

Unless you have a very good reason (no offense, but beginners rarely do)
then you should inherit from NSObject instead.