Hey guys,

I need some pointers into the right direction.

I would like to create a view that display a list of objects with their attributes. Of course NSTableView could do that. But I would like the rows to expand vertically when I add more information to the object ...and have the attributes not just layed out in column based manner. The most simple example: a list of multi line edit fields. Example: OmniOutliner - press alt-enter and the line height increases. AFAIK you cannot do that with either NSTableView or NSCollectionView as the row heights may be different per row.

So I already got a custom view that is manually bound to NSArrayController and draws the objects. Now I need to make one of the object's string attributes editable. How to do that best?

I assume I could catch the click on the item, then (somehow) show in place a NSTextView and have the user do the changes to the text. On every change I would check the height of the NSTextView and apply that to the drawing of the item. Once done I'll hide the NSTextView again. Does that sound like reasonable approach? Or how would you tackle this?

Any suggested example or open source project to look at?

cheers
--
Torsten