On 22 Apr 2008, at 10:23 am, Steve Weller wrote:
Are there any easy ways of calculating the points on the path as a function of the distance from the start of the path?

I'm not sure about the rest of your question but I can answer this part. The short answer is no - it's really tricky.

However if you have a look at my DrawKit project, it solves this problem exactly ;-)

One category method on NSBezierPath I have is:

- (NSPoint)     pointOnPathAtLength:(float) length slope:(float*) slope;

where <length> is the linear distance from the start of the path - it optionally also returns the slope (dy/dx) at the given point. The project is still in beta though this method is used a lot in my code and is well debugged.

http://apptree.net/drawkitmain.html

hth,

G.