On 23/04/2008, at 5:41 PM, Daniel DeCovnick wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just looked through them now, as well as at the OSXBook (Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach by Amit Singh) info on that. In theory it looks good, but it's somewhat confusing. It looks like, at least in 10.4, except for the resource fork which is mapped as a fake xattr, you can only have inline attributes, with a length limit of 3802 bytes, and it would be quite common for my data to be significantly larger than that. Does anyone know if that's changed for 10.5?

As an alternative to storing the information with the file itself, could your application store an alias record to the file along with your custom data in a data store managed by your application? That way you don't need to modify the original files in any way.

You can use BDAlias or one of the other Obj-C wrappers for the alias management code.

--
Rob Keniger