On 23/04/2008, at 5:41 PM, Daniel DeCovnick wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just looked through them now, as well as at the OSXBook (Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach by Amit Singh) info on that. In theory it looks good, but it's somewhat confusing. It looks like, at least in 10.4, except for the resource fork which is mapped as a fake xattr, you can only have inline attributes, with a length limit of 3802 bytes, and it would be quite common for my data to be significantly larger than that. Does anyone know if that's changed for 10.5?

I say, if using the resource fork works for you, go for it. Whatever disadvantages there might be are 1) theoretical, and 2) no worse than extended attributes.

No sense bending over backward to try to get some supposedly superior solution to work not quite as well as the resource fork would.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Cheers,
Ken