On 24/04/2008, at 4:14 PM, Daniel DeCovnick wrote:

Honestly, I don't care how the data is stored, as long as I've got some reliable place to store file-specific data such that it can be reliably tied to the file (cross-user/cross-computer concerns are primary, cross-platform concerns are secondary - I'm only writing this for OS X currently, and I could always have export and import functionality to keep a real file around while the target file gets sent out and about and then recombine them later). If that means writing raw binary or XML data to an unformatted resource fork, that's fine. If that means I've got to put it into a resource with it's own type, that's fine too (this would be a bit more reliable, I imagine, as it's possible I'll run into files with other things in their resource forks already). If that means something else entirely, that's cool too.

Now, if y'all could explain what a resource map is (the docs don't show anything meaningful) and why I might be using it, it'd be appreciated.

You don't want to manipulate it directly.

Use the API documented here:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/Resource_Manager/Reference/reference.html >

- Chris