Am 24.04.2008 um 06:28 schrieb Graham Cox:
On 24 Apr 2008, at 12:59 pm, Chris Suter wrote:
The limits for resource forks are the same as for data forks

Not true - the ResourceMap contains some 24-bit pointers, or at least it used to, as well as some 16-bit length fields as well. Unless these have been changed (possible I guess, I don't know) these will bite you before the file fork limitations do.

I was imprecise in my original statement. I meant what Graham says: The resource FILE format has some limits (offsets and things it uses are 24- and 16-bit quantities, as Graham said. Of course, the resource FORK itself can grow as much as it wants. But that won't help you much, since applications like the Finder expect the resource FORK to contain a valid resource FILE so they can add their own 'usro' resources and such that indicate what app to open a file with. So, for all practical purposes resource FORKS are limited by the format of the resource FILE.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de