On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Kyle Sluder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Michael Ash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > I don't think you're getting the point yourself. The reason he's
>  > returning NO is because his unarchiving fails, and it shouldn't fail.
>  > Certainly the code *should* set the error (if outError is non-nil) but
>  > this is a secondary problem, as that code path shouldn't even happen.
>
>  But how useful can the console log be in fixing *this* problem if one
>  is knowingly causing Cocoa to send messages to what amounts to a
>  random pointer?  When presented with a glaring and easily-fixable bug
>  that could obstruct fixing another, doesn't it make sense to fix it
>  first rather than continue to attempt to figure out the more
>  complicated bug?

Nothing is being obstructed. The logged errors happen after the
primary problem occurs. If the primary problem were logging errors,
they would appear before the ones that are caused by the lack of an
error assignment. If nothing appears there, then nothing is being
logged.

It certainly makes sense to fix this problem. An easy bug should
always be fixed when the opportunity arises. But it's not hurting
efforts to fix the larger problem as it stands.

Mike