On May 2, 2008, at 12:49 PM,  Graham Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Subject: Re: drawing in a separate thread

OK, I have managed to implement this after a lot of poring over the docs. I'm not sure if it's the most efficient way to actually handle the thread communication, but it does work (using NSMachPort). As I hoped, there isn't a big problem with drawing the graphics as they should be, apart from a bit of occasional blank output when the window is resized - BUT, performance is terrible. Worse than synchronous drawing by a long shot - I haven't measured it because it's really obvious how much the drawing lags the user - must be an order of magnitude slower.

Question is of course, why? The thread is calling the exact same drawing code as the view normally does, so that's a constant. So it must be down to the thread communication/overhead. Or perhaps just my minimal understanding of threads, locks, ports etc. ;-)

When I need to draw, I flag that fact to the class (the class is handling all views using a single secondary thread, but in fact I only have tried it so far with one), and the class bundles the update rect and view into an NSInvocation, which is placed in a queue. An NSPortMessage is used to wake up the thread which pulls the invocation off the queue and invokes it, which does the drawing. Maybe the use of NSInvocation is slow? Not sure why it should be.

I think using DO IS overkill, and has too much overhead for your application.

I've used a fairly lightweight model for worker threads. I used a variation of ThreadSafeQueue, and created a job queue. I then created one or more worker threads that looks in the queue for work to do. When the thread finds work, it does the work, then blocks on a condition lock until there is more work. It works beautifully, and without much overhead.

In your case you'd probably only have one worker thread, and let that thread handle all your time-consuming drawing.

See this link for info on the ThreadSafeQueue class:
http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?ProducersAndConsumerModel

Duncan C