Hi All,

I have an enterprise DB application that once used DO to move some files around (images and zip files, mostly). After some serious testing and lots of reading, I decided to move this to a few different BLOB fields in the database. Despite major warnings from people, I've found that images work great (specifically, NSData/NSImage). I can notice a very minor speed drop a few milliseconds, but being able to drop DO and it's woes is completely worth it.

Unfortunately, I didn't quite test the zip files, figuring it would be the same. I'm using Serge Cohen's MCPKit (aka SMySQL), which has a nifty little function to convert NSData to a MySQL-legal NSString. On the other end, someone on the Apple list posted a few lines of code to bump returned data into it's original NSData object. With the zip files (no larger then 600kb) that method takes 30 - 40 seconds to run. On an image of a similar size, it takes 0.1 seconds on a slow day.

Does anyone know why this would be? Is there an easy way to get around this? I suppose my understating of hex is lacking, but I always thought a hex string was a hex string was a hex string; length was all that mattered.

Thanks,
Ben Einstein