On May 9, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Jens Alfke wrote:

You can also send mail pretty easily by using NSTask to invoke /usr/ bin/sendmail — the parameters are pretty simple, check the man page. Normally I'm not a big advocate of getting things done by running Unix commands, but in this case the alternatives are all pretty complex and involve a lot of 3rd party code.

This is typically a bad idea for another reason: With the amount of spam in circulation today, many - If not most - mail servers now flat out reject email that is not sent from reputable mail servers, where by reputable I mean a combination of:

        * Is not flagged as a spam relay
        * Doesn't live on a dynamic IP block
        * Has valid reverse pointer DNS configured
        * Pass SPF validation
        * et.c.

I think that the only safe approach is to use existing mail servers, either one that the user provides, or one that your company / organization can provide for the purpose of supporting your application. This still leaves the original question unanswered of course...

This is a very good "third party opportunity" for someone who would like to make a name for themselves in the Cocoa community - much like Sparkle, Growl, et.c.

j o a r