Not that I know the original poster's development situation, but for those of us writing client-server multi-user enterprise database Cocoa apps, there's really no Apple-provided solution right now; running SQLLite and Core Data on a local machine isn't going to cut it. Even if Apple were to some day include real database support for Core Data in 10.9 (or whatever it will be), there'd still be the issue of legacy databases that may not take kindly to the idea of extra tables and stored procedures being added to the database to support graph management (like BaseTen currently does), or that would make use of views, stored procedures, and set-returning functions which a future database-friendly Core Data may not support. This legacy database problem will be especially pressing if the mac gets enough enterprise market share and businesses switch their clients for existing databases over to the mac.

So I think that having to write your own Cocoa object graph management and persistence framework is a realistic and necessary evil, and in fact, I'm having to write my own PostgreSQL framework to do this kind of thing right now.

-- Ilan