Since the use of the singleton method has been a big issue, I'll post my reasonings for using it. Not that they are right, but I would like some comments on why I shouldn't use it for these reasons.

1. I used this page to implement the singleton method: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaFundamentals/CocoaObjects/chapter_3_section_10.html . This is the reason why some of the methods may look like the have been overwritten. I just followed the instructions.

2. I see why it would be important to leave the decision up to the developer to decide whether or not to have more than one instance of a class. The reason for using the singleton method was to ensure that I never have more than one cache or database access object. Having more than one cache or database access object could lead to having the same data pulled from the database into more than one object. Having more than one object of the same data could cause the data to become dirty.

Justin Giboney