Salutations!

I'm parsing a rather large text-file (usually >20MB) and in doing so I'm iterating over its lines with [String getParagraphStart::::]. I've found a rather noticeable speed-up in the parsing operation if I create the string in question from an NSData object (created via initWithContentsOfMappedFile) using [String initWithData:encoding:].

Now to the questions:
1) Is this safe if the file in question is being moved / deleted / edited during parsing?

2) Are substrings created from the original string (e.g. substringWithRange etc.) still backed properly after the original string and the NSData object are released?

Thanks for any pointers,
        Daniel.