On 14 May 2008, at 16:52, Keith Duncan wrote:

The only problem however is that iTunes periodically replaces this file, if this were to happen whilst I have the original mapped, would my app crash? Essentially, whilst I have the file open, will it remain readable?

Well, if iTunes is already running, why don't you just do it via Scripting Bridge? Relying on the XML format of the iTunes library staying the same for all future versions of iTunes is going to be more troublesome than the worries you have of the file being overwritten. If you want info out of iTunes, then iTunes is the best thing to ask (via Scripting bridge). The info will be up-to-date and your app will also be able to pick up live changes the user might be making to the playlists. If the main focus of your app is some integration with iTunes, then I don't think your users will mind if iTunes needs to be running. You also don't need to worry yourself about the location of 'iTunes Music Library.xml' - Mine exists on a volume connected to an Airport Extreme, not in ~/Music/iTunes Music/

Matt