Le 15 mai 08 à 10:11, Matt Gough a écrit :

On 15 May 2008, at 00:20, Jens Alfke wrote:

Because it would be orders of magnitude slower. Even the property list parser can read the iTunes library in a few seconds. Extracting all that information via AppleEvents would certainly take minutes. Taking that amount of time, it would be subject to race conditions, since the library might change while your script is iterating it.

Fair enough. Out of interest, is it the exchange of the AppleEvents that is slow, or iTunes handling of them (if you can tell). I remember long ago writing some plain AppleScripts for an early iTunes and it could get fairly simple info in 'a few seconds' for large(at the time) libraries (10,000 songs). Maybe if things have gotten slower since then someone should report a bug. (No, I don't still have the scripts handy)

Matt

I'm using AE to query large info set from iTunes and don't get any performance issues. But you have to learn how to use AE.

get all tracks.
for each track in tracks
  get name

is very slow. But

get names of all tracks (using one single AE)

is pretty fast.

It depends what you need. If this it just to get a list a name, it will do the trick, if you want to query more info, you may have to choose an other path.