On 18 May 2008, at 17:41, Jens Alfke wrote:

On 18 May '08, at 4:33 AM, Julius Guzy wrote:

Apple has been less celebrated for the humanity of its programming interface having, in my experience of Macs from the Lisa onwards, seemingly taken the attitude that its programmers were hobbyists, geeks essentially, who because of their enthusiasm would successfully negociate their way into the machine's innards.

"Hobbyists"? I think "professionals" is more accurate — especially since in the early days of the Mac you had to spend hundreds of dollars to become a developer and get access to tools and documentation.
well there you are. Precisely.

I can see your point about obsessive hackers having the stamina to overcome complicated APIs, but any platform vendor's main objective in developer tools is to target professional developers who will create the products that make the platform attractive to customers. "Professional" doesn't necessarily imply a big company; I refer equally to startups and indie outfits, anyone seriously devoted to creating a product.
Like me for instance.

I have to say I find this whole discussion frustrating. The attitude of some people seems to be that writing computer programs, of arbitrary complexity, should be as easy as using a word processor. That's a Utopian goal at best, and more generally just naïve.
To my knowledge during these discussions nobody has suggested this least of all I. There is nothing about programming computers that does not require a fair bit of knowledge of how to get around the machine. I do not think it naive of me to raise serious questions regarding usability given that i have made huge and increasingly successful efforts to get into this system so I can do some heavy duty programming. From that point of view the debate has been quite informative regarding the documentation and how to use it, even though I still find it exceptonally hard.

Of course we should be trying to make the APIs and tools and documentation more useable; that's a constant task, and a very difficult one, and one Apple's doing a good job at. (The complexity under the hood is terrifying, and it's already been covered up enough that in an hour an experienced developer can throw together an app that fifteen years ago would have sold for $100.)
Well if it were doing as good a job as you think it is then I for one would not have lived through the nightmare of the last five or six months struggle.

Face it, any sort of serious creative endeavor is hard! There's no way around it. And the hardest part is learning the techniques and tools. If you wanted to build a robot,
done it
play Vivaldi on the violin
can't
, design a house,
done it
paint landscapes,
sometimes
or cure Ebola,
next week
you'd have to accept that it would take months or years of serious study,
absolutely!!! years and years
that the tools and documentation would sometimes be hard to use, and you'd have to put up with frustration before you mastered the skills.
been there, done it , still have not mastered the skills bit.

Why on earth is writing the best GUI applications in the world supposed to be trivial by comparison? Maybe I'm taking this too personally, but I sense a subtext that some people think the task of software design itself is somewhat trivial, more like programming a VCR than like architecture or painting or chemistry.

        "Problems worthy of attack
         Prove their worth by hitting back." [Piet Hein]
What have I said that should make anyone suppose I think designing software is trivial?

Julius

http://juliuspaintings.co.uk