> Any initialiser  with a  "+"  in front of it returns an autoreleased object

  ACK! NO! A *method* with a "+" is a "class method", whether it
returns an autoreleased object or nothing at all. Class methods that
return autoreleased objects are for convenience, but not all of them
do. Consider +(void)initialize ... also, *none* of them are
"initializers" by implication because they're class methods.

> - hence you MUST retain them or else they are simply released
> when the autorelease pool they are created in is released - which you can
> treat as occurring at the end of the method in which the init occurs.

  In the case of any autoreleased object, yes, if you want it to stick
around, you need to retain it. Whether a method returns an
autoreleased object or not is documented in the API reference (for
that method). More importantly, though, it's dangerous (for the
purposes of understanding odd memory-management-related crashers and
where / how you should look for the cause) to "treat [the autorelease]
as occurring at the end of the method in which the init occurs".

  It has nothing to do with the scope of the method, but everything to
do with the current run loop versus the run loop in which the
autorelease pool is popped (resulting in the release of all objects in
the pool). The "run loop in which the autorelease pool is popped" may
even be the current one ... it may even be *before* your init method
is finished if you created the pool and kill it before returning. Of
course if you did that, you'd probably know what to expect, but still

  This is all well-documented, and re-defining this is against the
list guidelines (because it's often misrepresented -- in fact I may
not be entirely accurate here, either), so I'll say no more than that.
Please, when there are conversations that require explaining memory
management, just refer the OP to the memory management documentation:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/Tasks/MemoryManagementRules.html

--
I.S.