Am 21.05.2008 um 18:34 schrieb Gérard Iglesias:
In fact in its original case, there would be a crash, because cityArray would point to a trashed pointer... I don't understand why it is not crashing.

Well, it's not a trashed pointer. The memory has been alloced (and self is set already), so all that would happen is that everything is probably initialized to zero. If NSObject doesn't do much initialization work in -init, you might get away with this bug without crashing. But you wouldn't want to rely on that...

Oh, by the way, let me plug my memory management tutorials again, they're mainly for C, but the general procedure stays valid for Objective C:

What is Memory: http://www.masters-of-the-void.com/book5.htm

And here is one that talks a bit about what happens when you use un- initialized memory:

Lists of Stuff: http://www.masters-of-the-void.com/book7.htm

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de