On May 21, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Peter Duniho wrote:

It's true, the phrase "riff-raff" wasn't actually used. But it's the essence of what was written.

I don't know why it is you guys didn't notice those particular statements, and I agree that they aren't representative of the bulk of the comments. But it's not true that that sort of sentiment is never expressed. I've seen it before, and it came up rather directly in this thread. Not one single member of the community spoke out against the sentiment, which only lends it more

Pete

Nobody spoke up against those posts because there was nothing inappropriate about them - they were not targeted at you or any individual and they are not even remotely how you've characterized them. Hamish was making a general statement (and stating his opinion) about what he saw as the likely outcome of lowering the barriers to entry. Graham was agreeing with that opinion, again, without targeting any indvidual.

About the only thing they are guilty of is disagreeing with you and, I should note, disagreeing with you on something they know a lot more about. Neither of them targeted anyone in particular and both were stating valid opinions. We allow different opinions here, and we don't assume everybody stating an opinion intends it as a vague, oblique insult to everyone who disagrees. You are taking very general statements very personally and then turning around and, generalizing and grossly mischaracterizing things that others have said, and yet you think it's just great for you to do that, but it's accusatory and insulting and unwelcoming for any of us to so much as disagree with your rants. Not everything that doesn't fit exactly with your world view is intended as an insult against you, and not everybody is going to agree with you. That's life. And, hey, here's a thought: when a whole lot of people who know a lot more about something than you do, disagree with you, it might be a good idea to take a step back and re- assess the situation because it's possible, however unlikely, that you might not be 100% right about this thing you've just started learning about.