Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:33:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Buck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ANN: Step by step introduction to programming with Cocoa
To: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com

I have started a guided introduction to Cocoa programming at the Cocoadev wiki site: http://www.cocoadev.com/

The goal is to provide an sequence in which to learn Cocoa and links to the basic information. My hope is that by just stating a step by step sequence of topics, users will be able to navigate through the huge number of concepts in an orderly fashion.

  http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaPrerequisites
  http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaStepOne
  http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaStepTwo

This is a wiki, and it isn't even _my_ wiki. By all means, contribute to the material.

This is a generous act on your part.
It is likely to require a lot of time and effort.
I will be glad to contribute as time allows and my knowledge of the system increases. It provides motivation for keeping a record of difficulties encountered and resolved (and perhaps also ones that have not been resolved?)

I suggested some time back (A documetation suggestion 19 May 2008 13:31:30) but no one took me up on it, the idea of seeing if Apple would so to speak "donate" a copy of their documentation so it could be used as the basis for a wiki. That documentation is a tremendous resource, a basis to which could be added examples, explanations etc., to make it more generally accesible, illuminate the small things that occasionally impede understanding.

Actually the idea was to include a text box at the end of each section where people could post queries regarding that section, e.g. questions about something they did not understand or something which did not quite work as expected etc and which would then cause an email containing that query to be sent to a discussion list, e.g. like the present one, where people's replies would then be included in the section the query came from. This would give the thing the structure of an FAQ.
I would keep it all very simple and very basic so it stays managable.
If useful it would acquire its own dynamic.

The idea has virtues
1. We discover exactly where the difficulties lie.
2. There is a build up of information concerning a specific problem all in the same place.
3. People are encouraged to explore the documentation
4. The documentation becomes up to date, errors are corrected etc.
5. There is little extra effort expended in providing the answers than would be spent doing so on this list
6. The context of the question and the reply is that much more clear
7. It could result in a pretty good piece of documentation.

I thought i would just throw the idea into the ring again

all the best
Julius

http://juliuspaintings.co.uk