On May 22, 2008, at 12:09 AM, Mike Fischer wrote:

As I understand it only the GUI portions of Carbon are going out of style. The lower level stuff like the File Manager seems to be sticking around. (Well not the old FSSpec stuff but the modern FSRef APIs.) Actually it seems like some things are being moved from Carbon -> CoreServices to make the distinction.

For now. But as Cocoa becomes more and more the "accepted" framework for writing applications, the future of even the non-GUI parts of Carbon come into question, in my view. What becomes the purpose of the Carbon File Manager, anyway? Cocoa's already got a file manager. And yet even after seven years, with all the new APIs, new language features, and new paradigms that have been added to Cocoa, its file manager still has absolutely no support for forks or anything non-path based.

Remember that not that long ago we all thought Carbon was going to be 64-bit in Leopard. It's all speculation, but my interpretation of all this is that there's been a battle going on inside Apple, between a Carbon/MacOS/FSRefs/Aliases faction and a Cocoa/NeXT/flat files/path- based faction, and what we saw there was the final defeat of the Carbon faction. I'm not really sure what the future holds.

Anyway I remember reading somewhere that Apple warned about relying on ..namedfork/rsrc always working. I can't find the reference at the moment though.

That was WWDC 2006, in which the speaker for one of the sessions commented that the /rsrc hack was going to be removed from Leopard. It didn't say anything about ..namedfork, though - just /rsrc, which I don't think anyone really uses anymore. Of course, /rsrc still works in Leopard, so who knows.

There are other reasons to favor the File Manager over path based APIs. One would be more robust behaviour in the face of moving files and folders. Another would be avoidance of PATH_MAX problems.

True, but I don't think the people currently in charge are big fans of these sorts of features.

Charles