On May 23, 2008, at 4:40 PM, has wrote:

Looking at the two dumps, it's pretty obvious that what's coming back from iTunes isn't the same data as the original file; the latter actually looks like PNG data with a PICT file header

Yes, I had noticed that. If an iTunes track already has artwork, grabbing it with SB, and po -ing it in gdb shows the object's data field is prepended with 'PICT', and the NSNumber format field looks just like ... OSType 'PNG ' in an NSNumber.

which I've a sneaking suspicion is different to before. I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes' internal implementation had been changed recently only for the developers to forget to update its scripting API to accommodate this change (the artwork-related APIs have long been notoriously rough).

Maybe the solution on Leopard is as simple as to stop trying to give it PICT (a requirement that's documented as much by folklore as anything) and use PNG instead.

File bugs on iTunes' artwork APIs, and go jump up and down on the AppleScript team to spec this stuff properly so that application developers know what they're meant to do.

Good point, but as the OPs have yet to respond, will leave that to them.