On May 23, 2008, at 9:55 PM, Erik Buck wrote:
What other objects outside the nib? I have nothing connected to File's Owner except the delegate, and looking at

STOP. You just answered your own question. You connected the delegate outlet of an object outside the nib to some object within the nib. That is why File's owner exists! You just used File's Owner to make a connection to an object outside the nib. That object is the application's one and only NSApplication instance.

Exactly -- you answered your own question.

The application instance is created behind the scenes for you just after your application starts launching but before the main nib is loaded. By definition (since the nib hasn't been loaded yet) the application instance is outside the nib. Again: the application instance exists *before* MainMenu.nib is ever loaded. Then, when MainMenu.nib *is* loaded, the application instance is set to be the File's Owner for that nib.

I had a view object send an action to my class, by coding (IBAction) myMethod: in my code, and setting that action in the view object's action method.

As it turns out, you can do what you just described perfectly well without using File's Owner and your application will be just fine. The reason is that when your nib file was loaded, your window was instantiated (remember that your window is one of the objects described in the nib file), and when a window is instantiated it's automatically added to the application instance's window list. So this is actually another connection between an object outside the nib (the application instance) and objects in the nib (your window or windows) -- a connection that is made for you that doesn't require use of File's Owner. None of us thought to mention this connection (that I recall), because we were focused on the general explanation of File's Owner.

Again, if any of this or anyone else's answer is not clear, please try to help us help you by pinpointing *where* we start to lose you.

--Andy