On May 25, 2008, at 4:14 AM, mmalc crawford wrote:

On May 25, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Roland King wrote:

Where do I make the model object and how do I hook it into the controller? I start the application, the Files Owner is the singleton NSApplication, I guess I can override the NIB finished loading method, make the model object there and now I want to call something on the controller like ...
-(Controller)hereIsYourModelObject:(Model*)model

If you override -awakeFromNib then you'd do so in the controller class, so it would create and set its own model. There's no need to invoke a separate hereIsYourModelObject: method, except in the sense of a setModelObject: accessor.
Alternatively you could do it in -init...

This is akin to, in the document architecture, the document object setting its model by retrieving it from a file.

Another approach is to not put the controller in the nib. Have the controller be the File's Owner. So, the controller is created in code in response to some action or notification or delegate method (e.g. applicationWillFinishLaunching:). Then the nib is loaded, and the controller is passed in as its owner. In the nib, everywhere that you had a connection to or from the controller, you make that connection to or from the File's Owner.

Cheers,
Ken