On May 27, 2008, at 11:50, Andy Lee wrote:

That's not good either. "Root object" has a special meaning in the context of archiving graphs of objects. In particular, it's one of the archived objects, whereas File's Owner is by definition not one of the objects in the nib.

Yes.

I was addressing specifically the point you made, which was that "File's Owner isn't the object that loaded the nib, it's the object that the object that loaded the nib *says* is the owner." My way, this level of indirection goes away.

If you look at the rest of my original suggestion (before the clarification above), I suggested the term "Nib's Loader" as a replacement for "File's Owner", which would connote something behavioral: "I'm the object that loaded this nib."

Yes, I agree it's simpler, but I really do think you'd need to test it out on some unsuspecting victims before you could be sure it was eliminating the part of the complexity that's actually causing the difficulty.

Putting this the other way round, I'm not sure that the answer is to give File's Owner or Nib's Loader behavior that justifies its name, but rather to give it a unobjectionable name that justifies its (lack of) behavior -- if anyone can come up with such a name.