On 30.5.2008, at 00:53, Hamish Allan wrote:

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Geoff Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

3) If this is already known, is there a customary pattern for avoiding the
problem? "Never release from observeValueForKeyPath" is a bit harsh!

I don't know if it's known, but you could try [obj
performSelector:@selector(release) withObject:nil afterDelay:0]
instead of [obj release]

Or use [obj autorelease] instead of [obj release] which should be pretty much the same with less typing. Again, you probably need to be able to handle the extra observeValueForKeyPath:

(My guess is that when A receives observeValueForKeyPath:, it is already too late to still remove B from the list of objects which will be notified. Most likely some kind of copy is made of the list of objects to notify internally by Cocoa.)

Kai

if you don't mind getting the extraneous
observeValueForKeyPath:... for that obj (it could have an "about to be
released" flag which would cause it to ignore the
observeValueForKeyPath:...)

Hamish