After your suggestion, I recalled and reviewed figure 6 about "Saving a Document" in the Document Based Applications Overview. That made it clear to me that saveDocument does call the saveDocumentWithDelegate method.

Then I tried your scenario of closing an unsaved doc. Under the old implementation it failed as you expected. When I transferred my modifications to the saveDocumentWithDelegate method, it worked.

Thanks,
DC