Well, I would have thought so, but I don't know enough about CoreData to actually get at the objects without the tree controller. I would've thought I could do that just off the tree controller, using @max, too.

1 - Create a fetch request for your desired entity.
2 - Create a sort descriptor for the key whose max value you're interested in.
3 - Set the fetch request's sort descriptor to the above.
4 - Create any predicates needed for filtration (ie, whatever you may or may not have used in the tree controller).
5 - Set the fetch request's predicate to the above if any.
6 - Execute the fetch request and get the last (or first) object of the results (checking for errors, minding the set-versus-array gotchas, etc.).

--
I.S.