On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Brian Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would consider that to be expected behavior. If you aren't ever releasing
> the layers you created, why would any of the relevant memory be freed? The
> timer and the animations it is causing to be performed should not really be
> incurring a very significant memory footprint in addition to what the layers
> on their own are already using (my own observations at least indicate that
> running the test app with or without the timer makes very little difference
> in that regard).
>
> Are the two methods you posted really the only two methods in your entire
> test app? Or are you doing something else somewhere in addition to this?
> Feel free to e-mail me the test project off-list if you like.
>
> /brian
>
> Yes, these 2 methods are my entire test app. I will email you the project
off-list.

I don't think it has to do with layer release.
If I run it without the animation (commented out the timer creation), the
memory usage in Object Alloc is constant (as expected) at 1.8MB
When I add the timer, the memory usage starts at 1.8MB and goes up to 3MB
after 1 minute, 5MB after 2 minutes, and so on.
The only difference between these 2 cases is "[NSTimer
scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.4 target:self selector:@selector(fromTimer:)
userInfo:nil repeats:YES];" being commented out.

Thanks
Stephane