On Jun 3, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Antonio Nunes wrote:
On Jun 3, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Bill Bumgarner wrote:
Why can't you pause the program in Xcode? Because it is running in Instruments?
Yes, I could find no way to pause it after Start with Performance Tool->Leaks (or Object Allocations for that matter). But then I realised I should attach the debugger to it in Xcode after starting it with Instruments, and now I can pause the session. Interestingly, when I do that and check the gc-roots and gc- references info in the paused application, where ObjectAlloc claims the CGPDFDocument is still in existence, the info command returns 0 roots and no references. Who do I believe?

It may be that the CGPDFDocument has been CFRetain'd by something in the system somewhere and has not been released. It might be a bug in the framework. If you can, file a bug with your app attached and someone will have a look (send me the bug #).

You'll want the backtrace of all of the retains and releases on the object to gain a clue as to what might be over-retaining.

(Yes, CFRetain/CFRelease still retain/release objects under GC. Not suggested to do, but it happens between certain subsystems.)

b.bum