On Jun 3, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

On Jun 3, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Steven Moore wrote:

It looks like most of the calls are coming from [NSArray indexOfObjectIdenticalTo:], half of which are from [NSSubTextStorage release] and [NSTextStorage removeLayoutManager:]. I'm not exactly sure why, as I didn't think I was directly touching the layout manager.. is it being re-created every time I update the string or something?

I don't know, and the only people who probably would are the AppKit engineers. But I do know that NSLayoutManager is probably the most expensive built-in object to release. Have you tried turning on GC? At least that will move object finalization into a background thread.

You might want to look at NSLayoutManager - setAllowsNonContiguousLayout: