On 6 Jun 2008, at 16:12, David Wilson wrote:

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Gordon Apple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm currently trying to evaluate whether or not Core Data is a viable
storage system in our application.  Although I've been through the
tutorials, Refs, and searches, I still have questions:

1. Our data hierarchy model does not seem to fit into the Core Data object model. (At least I haven't been able to make it fit so far). Now what?
Redo the data model?

This seems unlikely. Can you provide some more information on your
model? You may simply be looking at Core Data the wrong way.

2. Most of our objects include dictionaries with highly variable content.
Sometimes the object doesn't even know what has been stored in its
dictionary. Is there anyway to implement this in core data? I suppose a one to many relationship could be used with an entity having a key/ value
pair, which leads me to #3.

Yes. You can easily have transient properties of any type that are
then serialized to/deserialized from a permanent attribute when
required.

Another option if you really need to use flexible keys is my code at:

http://mikeabdullah.net/ksextensiblemanagedobject.html

3. If we implement a custom Attribute for NSValue (i.e., NSData), can we store variable length data simply by archiving it? Or does it have to be
fixed length?

See #2. Our application has a number of objects which have all sorts
of strange attribute types (NSRects, NSDictionaries, etc). They just
need to be serialized/deserialized at the appropriate times.

--
- David T. Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]