Our data hierarchy has six objects, all of which inherit from "BaseList"
which contains a dictionary (props) and an array (subList).  These lists are
chained (i.e., the six subclasses).  So in the first-attempt data model,
baselist.sublist is a one-to-many looping back to BaseList.

    However, the last item in the chain (Layer) needs it's subList to point
to shapes  instead of BaseList,  i.e., subList is now a draw list.  I could
move subList into the subclasses, but there is a lot of recursive stuff
going on in BaseList where it needs to be.  Maybe I could just override an
accessor so BaseList can get to it.  Apparently, there's an issue calling
"super" in managed objects, so I'll have to see if that poses any problems.