Hey Steve -

You would encounter a similar problem if you directly launched an application built from a project that had an application and framework target where the application linked the framework. The reason for this is that frameworks have install paths. An Install path is a location a framework dylib advertises as its normal install location. When another dylib (in this case your plugin) links a framework, it embeds the framework's install location inside of itself, and uses that install location to find the framework at launch time. In this case, your ibplugin bundle is most likely failing to find the framework created by the framework target in the IBPlugin project template. This is expected because the framework isn't in its advertised install location, it's in your Xcode build directory. Using Console.app, you should be able to find some relevant information as to why this isn't working. The reason it works when you "build & go" from Xcode is that Xcode sets the DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH environment variable before launching the copy of Interface Builder used to debug your plugin. You can read about the DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH environment variable in the dyld man page.

If you'd like to run the release version of your plugin/framework, you can invoke 'sudo xcode install' from the terminal. After doing this, there will be a folder in /tmp named "YourProjectName.dst". You can install this build version of your application with "sudo ditto /tmp/ YourProjectName.dst /". Doing this will place a copy of both your plugin and framework in their install locations. After doing this, you can load the plugin using any of the normal mechanisms.

Good Luck -
Jon Hess