>From the archives, originally posted by Rob Keniger:

I had problems with this too, and I use a workaround I found somewhere
where you render to a CGImageRef in the context of the current window.
Here's a dump of the code:

//theImage is an existing NSImage
CIImage *outputImage = [CIImage imageWithData:[theImage TIFFRepresentation]];

//to draw the image processed by Core Image, we need to draw into an
on-screen graphics context
//this works around a bug in CIImage where drawing in off-screen
graphics contexts causes a huge memory leak

//get the current window's graphics context so that we have an on-screen context
//usually we would use any view's window but generically you can just
ask for the main window
CIContext *ciContext = [[[NSApp mainWindow] graphicsContext] CIContext];
if(ciContext == nil)
{
       NSLog(@"The CIContext of the main window could not be accessed.
Bailing out of the image creation process.");
       return;
}

CGAffineTransform transform;
transform = CGAffineTransformMakeTranslation(0.0,[outputImage
extent].size.height);
transform = CGAffineTransformScale(transform, 1.0, -1.0);
outputImage = [outputImage imageByApplyingTransform:transform];

//render the CIIimage into a CGImageRef in the on-screen context
CGImageRef cgImage = [ciContext createCGImage:outputImage
fromRect:[outputImage extent]];
// Draw the CGImageRef into the current context
if (cgImage != NULL)
{
       CGContextDrawImage ([[NSGraphicsContext currentContext]
graphicsPort], [outputImage extent], cgImage);
       CGImageRelease (cgImage);
}

HTH