I do something similar in the licensing of my Objective-C accessibility
frameworks (at pfiddlesoft.com/frameworks). You can use my frameworks for free
if you use them in an application that you distribute for free, but you must
pay a one-time licensing fee if you charge for your application. The fee is
modest if you are a "small developer," but it is reasonably substantial if you
are a "big company" (but it is still small enough that a big company could not
hire somebody for less to write the same code from scratch).

So far, I have relied strictly on the honor system to enforce the license,
although I imagine the fact that I am a well-known trial lawyer with
substantial experience in intellectual property law might influence some
potential users. Apart from that, the fact that my products are frameworks
gives me a little advantage because I can generally examine a publicly
available application to see whether its developer used my frameworks.

I find that the most important and effective use of the honor system is with
"big companies." Despite what you read in the news every day, I have found that
big companies are generally not interested in risking copyright litigation by
stealing code that they can license legally for a few thousand dollars. Honor
aside, the risk and cost of litigation is simply too high to make that a good
bet.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name