Dear list,

I am working on an iOS app that uses a UISplitViewController.

As per the client’s requirements, a UIViewController should be loaded before
the UISplitViewController loads.

This “preceding” UIViewController - let’s call it the Home Screen - allows the
user to select from a small number of content packages, the selection is used
to populate the UISplitViewControllers’s view controllers.

Obviously, the Home Screen must be loaded before or at the same time the
splitview becomes visible, the splitview must not be visible before the Home
Screen becomes visible.

In a previous project I worked around this by calling presentViewController in
the UISplitViewController’s viewController that populates the splitview’s
detail section, setting animated to NO.

However, this triggers warnings that indicate that the presenting
viewController tries to present a viewController while a presentation is in
progress.

In a current project I am taking another approach, as follows:

At application launch both the UISplitViewController and the “preceding”
UIViewController are both instantiated as properties of the AppDelegate and the
“preceding” UIViewController is initially set as the app delegate window’s
rootViewController. The app now launches immediately into the Home Screen, not
being called from any other ViewController.

After user selection, a method is called in the app delegate that replaces the
window’s rootViewController, setting it to the UISplitViewController. At the
same time, the UISplitViewController’s ViewControllers in master and detail get
the information needed to update their data.

This works fine and I get no warnings or errors.

However, since it is the first time I am taking this approach I would like to
double check if I am overlooking any issues. In short, is this approach
acceptable?

Many thanks,

Diederik