On Sep 7, 2015, at 2:40 PM, Dave <d...@looktowindward.com> wrote:

> The ScrollView/StackView combo that myDetailView added to on the
> addView:inGravity call, is wider than the DetailView. What I’d like to happen
> is that the Detail is Stretched/Shrunk to match the width of the Scroll
> View/StackView. I think I need to add a horizontal constraint in code before
> I added the view. Is this correct?

A stack view always forces its arranged subviews to be completely inside
itself.  Whether that results in the stack view growing or the arranged
subviews shrinking depends on other constraints and/or intrinsic sizes and
content-hugging and compression-resistance priorities.

Further, a stack view will try to hug its arranged subviews at the hugging
priority set for the given orientation.  Again, that may result in the stack
view shrinking or the arranged subviews being stretched, depending.

> If so, I’m assuming I need to add the constraint to myDetailView? If so which
> View do I constrain it to? NSScrollView, the FlippedClipView inside
> NSScrollView or the StackView or none of the above?

It should not be necessary to add a constraint to the detail view.  You should
set leading and trailing constraints between the stack view and the clip view
so that the stack view is as wide as the clip view.

Other than that, you need to set the horizontal hugging priority of the stack
view and then the constraints, content hugging priorities, and compression
resistances of the views within the detail view to allow them to adjust
themselves to the width.

Regards,
Ken