Many thanks.
What I have discovered is that they track model version as well:

Exported UTI
com.apple.macbook-retina-silver
com.apple.device-model-code
MacBook8,1@ECOLOR=225,225,223

com.apple.macbook-retina-gold
com.apple.device-model-code
MacBook8,1@ECOLOR=235,215,191

com.apple.macbook-retina-space-gray
com.apple.device-model-code
MacBook8,1@ECOLOR=155,158,159
MacBook8,1@ECOLOR=157,157,160

NSImage *image =[[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] iconForFileType:
@"com.apple.macbook-retina-gold"];

What's shocking is that they left icons for the new hardware there before
announcement:
E.g this folder contains new watch colors/ iPhone6s/iPhone6s Plus and iPad4
mini (not the TV 4rd)
"
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/MobileDevices.bundle/Contents/Resources
"