I recently spent two weeks trying to get NSSplitViewController to work
programmatically in an application with nibs, without success. I got close, and
I concluded that it probably can be done, but I gave up because it was taking
too much time. I'm also having a lot of trouble getting it to work in
storyboards, so i think maybe it still isn't ready for prime time. (This was in
OS X 10.11 El Capitan late-beta.)

--

Bill Cheeseman - wjcheese...@comcast.net