Wow, Ken, thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response. I need to read it a few more times to understand it better, but it has been very useful already. I recognize a couple of points were I might have gone astray in my first try.

Oh, and thanks for your second response, too. For a lot of this stuff, I just need someone to tell me to "look at categories or bindings" or whatever. Facing the ObjC/Cocoa/IBuilder thing, sometimes I just wnat a hint as to where to look for the documentation, of at least the terminology to look up.

Paul