I'd like to suggest a different approach if things cannot be tuned to have
far fewer draw calls. Font caching etc. is very fast, but not as fast as it
could be given the choices it has to support. I think you said you had one
font, one size. I'm guessing you also have no more than 256 different
characters you might show (but consider where in the world your customers
are...)

If so, perhaps you could simply have a table of 256 images, and paint them
to screen in the fastest possible way. Now, that's a lot of code to write
speculatively, but you can see if it will save time by replacing every
paint text call with a call to paint a single fixed image. If it goes fast
enough it may be worth this approach. (I'm sure there are fast and slow
ways to paint images too: grid aligned, unscaled, colour model matching -
maybe some of these can be optimized. Monochrome mask painting might be
faster, or slower).